Accutane┬« Inflammatory Bowel Disease Lawsuit Help
The Law Firm of Eric H. Weinberg is currently assisting individuals who may have experienced Inflammatory Bowel Disease, IBD, as a result of Accutane┬« use.┬á We are ready to help you. If you or a loved one suffers from IBD and has taken Accutane┬«, please submit a Free IBD Accutane┬« Lawsuit Evaluation Form, or call us toll free at 1-877-934-6274.┬á We pledge to bring our more than 20 years of experience litigating pharmaceutical cases to bear on your behalf.
Accutane┬« (isotretinoin) Accutane┬« (isotretinoin) belongs to a class of chemical compounds known retinoids. Accutane┬« is indicated for the treatment of severe recalcitrant nodular acne and works by decreasing facial oil production.┬á Accutane┬« is marketed by Roche Laboratories. Generic Accutane┬« is marketed as Amnesteem, Claravis and Sotret.
Accutane┬« Inflammatory Bowel Disease LawsuitsInflammatory Bowel Disease is just one of a handful of harmful side effects associated with Accutane┬« use.┬á
As of February 2010, all six plaintiffs bringing Accutane┬« IBD lawsuits against drug maker Roche Laboratories, Inc., have won (one judgment has been overturned by a Florida appeals court.)┬á Juries finding for the Accutane┬« plaintiffs believed that Roche Laboratories failed to adequately warn physicians and patients of the IBD risk associated with Accutane┬« use.┬á
In June of 2009, Roche halted Accutane┬« sales, citing the availability of generic isotretinoin and the cost of defending Accutane┬« lawsuits as its reason for no longer marketing the drug.┬á The pharmaceutical giantÔÇÖs legal troubles with Accutane┬« continue to grow as more than 800 Accutane┬« lawsuits have been assigned to mass tort court before Superior Court Judge Carol Higbee in Atlantic City, NJ.┬á
Other serious Accutane┬« side effects include birth defects and psychiatric disorders.
┬áWhat is Inflammatory Bowel Disease?Inflammatory Bowel Disease, IBD, refers to a group of disorders that result in inflammation of the intestines. The inflammation, or redness and swelling, can occur in the small and large intestines.┬á IBD is a chronic condition, affecting an estimated 1 million people in the United States each year.
Inflammatory Bowel Disease symptoms may include:
- abdominal pain and cramping
- weight loss
- poor appetite
- diarrhea, which may be bloody
- rectal bleeding┬á
IBD symptoms can range from mild to severe, and may come and go.┬á IBD patients who are experiencing symptoms are said to be having a relapse or flare-up, and IBD patients who are symptom free are said to be in remission.
Other IBD related health problems may include: arthritis and joint pain, weak bones and bone breaks, eye inflammation, liver┬á inflammation, gallstones, skin ulcers or lesions, kidney stones, delayed puberty and growth problems (in children and teens), and in rare cases, lung problems.
The most common forms of Inflammatory Bowel Disease include CrohnÔÇÖs disease and ulcerative colitis.┬á Although the symptoms of CrohnÔÇÖs disease and ulcerative colitis are similar, they are differentiated by the part of the digestive tract affected.
CrohnÔÇÖs disease most commonly affects a part of the small intestine known as the ileum and the upper part of the large intestine; however, any part of the digestive tract, from the mouth to the anus can be affected. CrohnÔÇÖs disease can affect all layers of the tissue comprising the intestinal wall. In addition, patches of healthy intestine may be found between patches of diseased intestine.
Ulcerative colitis results in inflammation and ulcers which are usually limited to the lower part of the large intestine known as the colon however; the rectum may also be involved.┬á The disease affects the mucosal lining of the colon with inflammation occurring in a continuous versus patchy manner. Ulcerative colitis can become so severe that it may become necessary to surgically remove all or a part of the colon.┬á
IBD Diagnosis Will Support Your Accutane┬« Lawsuit
A diagnosis of Inflammatory Bowel Disease will be the cornerstone of a viable Accutane┬« Lawsuit.┬á Diagnosis of IBD may take some time due to the variation of symptoms, and the come and go nature of IBD symptoms.┬á Medical documentation of IBD symptoms prior to diagnosis and documentation of Accutane┬« use will also support an Accutane┬« lawsuit.
┬áMedical testing used to support IBD diagnosis and monitor patient health may include:
- Stool sampling, to test for the presence of bacteria that may cause an IBD flare up or detect the presence of blood in the stool.
- Blood testing, to look for signs of infection, inflammation, and anemia.
- Colonoscopy or Sigmoidoscopy.┬á With each of these procedures, a thin tube with a lighted camera allows a doctor to examine the inside of the lower digestive tract to look for the presence of bleeding, inflammation, or ulcers.┬á A sigmoidoscopy examines the lower third of the large intestine, while a colonoscopy examines the entire large intestine.┬á Sometimes the ileum can be viewed during a colonoscopy.
- Capsule endoscopy involves swallowing a small encapsulated camera allowing a doctor to view images of the small intestines.
- EGD (esophagogastroduodenoscopy), allows doctors to examine the esophagus, stomach, and duodenum, all of which may be affect by CrohnÔÇÖs disease.
- CT or CAT scan takes x-rays from several different angles. A contrast medium is employed. Computer generated images allow doctors to look for signs of inflammation and to further evaluate the status of an IBD patient.
- Barium x-ray employs a thick, chalky liquid called barium, which coats the lining of the digestive tract. X-rays are then taken, allowing a doctor to check for signs of IBD including stricture (a narrowing of the bowel) or fistula (an abnormality between the bowel and other organ.)┬á
- X-rays, without a contrast medium, may be employed to detect the presence of a blockage in the intestines (a complication of CrohnÔÇÖs) or toxic megacolon (a complication in ulcerative colitis patients.)
What You Should Do If You Suspect An Accutane┬« Side Effect Injury Consumers and professionals can report suspected Accutane┬« side effects to the FDAÔÇÖs MedWatch Adverse Event Reporting Program at www.fda.gov/MedWatch/report.htm, or by phone 800-FDA-1088.
Obtain A Free IBD Accutane┬« Lawsuit Case Evaluation.The Law firm of Eric H. Weinberg has represented hundreds of individuals and thousands more class action claimants injured by the side effects of well known prescription drugs including Vioxx, Ortho Evra, Baycol, and blood clotting products.┬á If you have suffered Inflammatory Bowel Disease that may be linked to Accutane┬« use, and would like a free Accutane┬« lawsuit evaluation, please select IBD Accutane┬« Lawsuit Evaluation Form/Accutane┬« Lawyer, or call us toll free at 1-877-934-6274.